Wednesday, July 15, 2020

It's great, no it's awful, no it's ...

It's ... well, it's been a topsy-turvy few days, filled with long hours, failures, frustration and successes. I finally let go of the developer I was working with - a difficult choice and one that left me with an odd mixture of relief and anguish. 

The search for a new developer was arduous and unpleasant, I was way out of my comfort zone there. Prices for completing the MVP (minimally viable product) ranged from a sole $500 to upwards of $1,000. And it's not that I couldn't afford it, even though my gut told me that it shouldn't really be that much work for a good developer. I could, but was totally unable to ascertain whether or not a specific developer could do the job for the price quoted without a lot of hassle.

So, I looked at several tools which might let me do the job myself. Most of the tools were too cumbersome, too complex or too simple and aimed at the hobby app market. I finally settled on Kodular, an online IDE that has a moderately good UI design tool and a block-based coding approach.

Just last night I got to the point where I am fairly confident that I can do the job, with one more hurdle to be very confident. I will need some help, but they have an active community forum, some YouTube videos and less than optimal documentation that has been helpful so far.

I don't really like this part of the job, the original design work was loads of fun, this part is some fun but lots of trail & error and frustration. But I do have total control over the process without having to beg, plead and threaten someone else to get my vision developed right.

... and on with the show!

Success Now!
We deserve it

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back on track ...

  Get back on track! It's been a tough month. All sorts of things going wrong and getting in the way of forward movement on the game. Bu...