Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Willpower



Read this article a few weeks ago on Willpower in the Help Center section of the American Psychological Association website. Lots of good stuff to think about, including the following - 

We have many common names for willpower: determination, drive, resolve, self-discipline, self-control. But psychologists characterize willpower, or self-control, in more specific ways. According to most psychological scientists, willpower can be defined as:

The ability to delay gratification, resisting short-term temptations in order to meet long-term goals.
 
The capacity to override an unwanted thought, feeling or impulse.
 
The ability to employ a “cool” cognitive system of behavior rather than a “hot” emotional system.
 
Conscious, effortful regulation of the self by the self.
 
A limited resource capable of being depleted.

The last one struck me as particularly relevant to my personal experience. Certainly towards the end of the day, I don't feel like doing much besides maybe watching TV for an hour and going to bed.  Whenever I leave important things to do later in the day, it's always a serious struggle to keep focused and feel like I have given it my best.

But first thing in the morning, whatever I focus on seems to nearly always be pleasurable and proceed smoothly.

I've learned that procrastinating important things generally means they either don't get done or get done poorly.

So, I now have part of my early morning routine to look at my day;s scheduled in light of what is most important and do that early when my willpower and energy is at peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back on track ...

  Get back on track! It's been a tough month. All sorts of things going wrong and getting in the way of forward movement on the game. Bu...