Saturday, July 25, 2020

On the necessity of perseverance

I'll admit that most of my life the good things have come pretty easily. That has actually made it hard for me to reach for those things that don't come easily. But eventually the things that don't come easily have become the things that I want most, and so I have had to get out of my comfort zone and actually WORK for what I want.

Kodular was fun at first, but the ease of the initial programming gave way to the frustration and tedium of coding, test, debugging forever, etc. I had to ask myself if I wanted to really spend the next few years of my life being the main developer for the app. And I got a resounding NO WAY! Designing the app is work, but fulfilling, joyful, creative work with a minimum of frustration. That I can see  myself doing for the remainder of my life. But staring programming in the face, I realize clearly that this is not my thing.

So, I am back to the design phase and accepting the fact that getting this to market is going to take a significant cash outlay.

Therefor, I  am redesigning the app to cut out the fat and focus on the core needs of the game, and the monetization features that will (hopefully) help me to bring in enough income to continue development of the game.

So, in a sense, another failure that moves me closer to success. That's just the way it goes sometimes. 

In talking about the game with people, I realize that some have issues with the use of the word failure. Guilt, shame, resistance, whatever. I will probably offer a way to replace that word in the game at some point, but ultimately, I think that without embracing failure as a step toward success, one is handicapped in their pursuit of success. That's just my opinion drawn from my own experience. Your mileage may differ.

And if we have been judged harshly by others in the past for our failures, perhaps the answer is not to try to avoid the use of the word, but to push through the trauma that it may have caused and come to embrace failure for what it truly is - just a necessary step on the road to success.

My Intention is to have the UI/UX completed within the next week and submitted to selected developers for quotes. Then my hope will be to get the Beta draft of the game in the hands of testers within the following 30 days. That's pretty aggressive, which is why I verbalize it as a 'hope' at this time, rather than an Intention. More about 'hope' perhaps later on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Back on track ...

  Get back on track! It's been a tough month. All sorts of things going wrong and getting in the way of forward movement on the game. Bu...